WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
To contribute to daily planning and delivery of quality, customer-focused, value for money administrative services that enable staff in country/location operations to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP’s strategy.
To contribute to daily planning and delivery of quality, customer-focused, value for money administrative services that enable staff in Country and Field locations to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP’s strategy.
He/She is expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance and minimum supervision. He/she is required to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems regularly.
He/she will operate with a high degree of independence, manage more junior staff to ensure that administrative objectives are achieved in full. The job holder will be heavily involved in day–to-day activities of office running in the entire CO including providing oversight support and physical support to work.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Contribute to and implement WFP country Office plans, including administrative processes, aligned with regional and wider WFP strategies and policies to facilitate efficient and effective administration service.
- Develop annual plans, contribute to longer term strategies and improvements to policies, systems and procedures to ensure services provided support WFP strategic objectives and are in compliance with corporate policies, standards, regulations and processes.
- Carry out complex data analysis to provide management and clients with the accurate information and reports for efficient planning and decision-making.
- Manage the existing resources in the area of responsibility (e.g. WFP managed facilities, assets and travel management, etc.) and estimate new requirements aiming at efficiency, cost-effectiveness and timeliness of operations and services.
- Facilitate the compliance of the services provided (e.g. WFP managed facilities, assets and travel management, etc.) with the corporate Occupational Safety and Health Policy and contribute to the provision of recommendations to the management on improvements/changes.
- Support a culture of environmental sustainability throughout WFP by role modelling actions that drive sustainability in all administrative activities.
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Build and maintain the partnership with WFP stakeholders, other UN agencies and local government offices.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners through the organisation or design of trainings, workshops, daily interaction, etc. for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Perform other related duties as required by the supervisor and management.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong analytical abilities, both quantitative and qualitative; able to leverage analytical skills within the Microsoft office packages, especially excel, word and power-point.
- Ability to draft clear concise reports on key issues and work independently
Additional desired skills:
- Knowledge of protocol policies, procedures and practices of international organization
- Experience in in managing office facilities,assets, fleet, fuel and spareparts,....
- Experience in procurement of food and non food items
- General knowledge of UN system policies, rules and regulations
- Knowledge of protocol policies, procedures and practices of international organizations
- University degree in Business/Public Administration, Engineering, or related fields relating to office management and administration.
Fluency in both English and French is a must and working knowledge of any otherUN Language
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Over 5 years relevant professional work experience
- Has provided direction and instruction to more junior staff members within area of expertise
- Has gained experience in administration.
- Has provided direction and instruction to more junior staff members within area of expertise.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Capability Name Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Business Support Services & Reporting Applies strong ability to identify country level requirements and develop customer focused solutions and action plans. Communicates data-based findings in a highly impactful way that is tailored to the audience.
Internal Controls & Risk Management for Administration and Engineering Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of internal controls and proper accounting procedures and systems to recommend improvements where necessary to address current weaknesses, mitigate risks to mission-critical WFP operations and maximise client satisfaction.
Resource Management for Administration and Engineering Oversees staffing for HQ and Field resources at the programme level, taking resource usage trends and forecasting data into account.
Specialised Knowledge in Administrative Services Applies advanced theoretical understanding of administration best practice, concepts and principles and thorough knowledge of WFP standards , processes and infrastructure to ensure continuous improvement in the provision of efficient and effective administration services, resolving complex issues as they arise.
Customer Focus Proactively monitors performance and delivers high quality service to meet the needs of customers, requesting customer feedback and taking ownership of customer problems that arise. Pre-empts needs of customers based on experience.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
24th November 2019
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero-tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.